We know that there is a lot of content out there that focuses on social good. Here are some of our favorite articles, videos and books that highlight trends in our sector.
Join our network here for occasional resources.
4 must reads to better philanthropy (July 2017) - Resources on current trends that are changing the philanthropic landscape.
Blue Garnet is 15 years old! (March 2017) - Geek out with Blue Garnet as we celebrate our 15th year anniversary and share some insightful resources.
A Bite of Blue Garnet (November 2016) - Feed your intellectual curiosity with a bite-sized portion of our latest picks of insights from the sector.
Articles and Reports
- How to be an "Impact Do-er": briefing with tips on how to take a long-term approach to the work of social change, operate as a whole organizations (rather than in silos), and track progress towards your desired impact. Features stories from three local nonprofits.
- Impact Thinking Briefing: explains why impact thinking can be challenging, examines common misconceptions, then shares practical steps to get "unstuck" from the status quo mindset. Includes leading examples in the sector, such as Lisa Watson, formerly of the Downtown Women's Center.
- The LA 2050 Report outlining pressing issues in Los Angeles
- "Zeroing in on Impact" by Susan Colby, Nan Stone, & Paul Cartarr in Stanford Social Innovation Review, a great starter article on social impact
- "The Strategic Plan is Dead. Long Live Strategy." an article by Monitor Institute in Stanford Social Innovation Review that successfully addresses a topic that is integral to our firm
- "The Disciplined Pursuit of Less" a blog by Greg McKeown on how success can be a catalyst for failure
- "Stages of Corporate Citizenship" a developmental framework by The Center for Corporate Citizenship at Boston College outlines, describes, and provides case studies for 5 stages of Corporate Citizenship
- "Millenial Survey 2018" by Deloitte describes how Millennials' confidence in business and loyalty to employers is deteriorating
- "Simpliifying Strategy" by FSG provides a practical toolkit for simplifying corporate societal engagement
- "Start with why -- how great leaders inspire action" a TED Talk by Simon Sinek
- Coke Bottles Transform into a Light Source in the Phillippines, a video highlighting ingenuity, innovation and a wondrous solution
- "How to Start a Movement" a TED Talk by Derek Sivers on movement building
- "Moneyball for Government" by Peter Orszag and Jim Nussle, a book that encourages government to use data, evidence and evaluation to drive policy and funding decisions
- "Naked Statistics" by Charles Wheelan strips away the arcane and technical details and focuses on the underlying intuition that drives statistical analysis
- "Leap of Reason: Managing to Outcomes in an Era of Scarcity" by Mario Morino, 2012 runner-up of the Terry McAdam's Book Award Committee
- "StrengthsFinder 2.0" by Tom Rath, a book and personalized assessment of individual strengths, which we believe is critical to the practice of shared leadership
Share with us your favorite articles, videos and books!