We know that there is a lot of content out there that focuses on social good. Here are some of our favorite articles, videos and books that highlight trends in our sector.
Sign up for our newsletter here.
The Two Essentials for Amplifying Your Impact (July 2015) - Our interview with Sara Beggs, Senior Program Director at Exponent Philanthropy, about the 10-minute Impact Assessment, a simple tool to increase impact and identify opportunities to focus energy and grow.
A Bite of Blue Garnet (June 2015) - Geek out with Blue Garnet as we share some of the ideas that have been top of mind for us lately.
A Bite of Blue Garnet (April 2015) - Feed your intellectual curiosity with a bite-sized portion of our latest picks of insights from the sector.
Struggling to see the forest through the trees? (January 30, 2015) - Resources that will guide you to high performance, with a special focus on the timely topic of impact thinking and evaluation.
Articles and Reports
- How to be an "Impact Do-er": briefing with tips on how to take a long-term approach to the work of social change, operate as a whole organizations (rather than in silos), and track progress towards your desired impact. Features stories from three local nonprofits.
- Impact Thinking Briefing: explains why impact thinking can be challenging, examines common misconceptions, then shares practical steps to get "unstuck" from the status quo mindset. Includes leading examples in the sector, such as Lisa Watson, formerly of the Downtown Women's Center.
- The LA 2050 Report outlining pressing issues in Los Angeles
- "Zeroing in on Impact" by Susan Colby, Nan Stone, & Paul Cartarr in Stanford Social Innovation Review, a great starter article on social impact
- "The Strategic Plan is Dead. Long Live Strategy." an article by Monitor Institute in Stanford Social Innovation Review that successfully addresses a topic that is integral to our firm
- "The Disciplined Pursuit of Less" a blog by Greg McKeown on how success can be a catalyst for failure
- Human Development Index, the 2013 report that breaks down human development into three simple elements (health, education, living standard) with four key indicators
- "Nonprofit Growth Capital: Building is not Buying" by George M. Overholser, an article that discusses defining, measuring and managing growth capital in nonprofit enterprises
- Coke Bottles Transform into a Light Source in the Phillippines, a video highlighting ingenuity, innovation and a wondrous solution
- "How to Start a Movement" a TED Talk by Derek Sivers on movement building
- "The Way We Think About Charity is Dead Wrong" a thought-provoking TED Talk by Dan Palotta
- "How to Tie Your Shoes" a TED Talk by Terry Moore on finding a better way
- "Leap of Reason: Managing to Outcomes in an Era of Scarcity" by Mario Morino, 2012 runner-up of the Terry McAdam's Book Award Committee
- "StrengthsFinder 2.0" by Tom Rath, a book and personalized assessment of individual strengths, which we believe is critical to the practice of shared leadership
- "Gamestorming" by Dave Gray, a book with creative and unconventional ways to engage a group in fun brainstorming activities
- "2 Minute Answer Guide for Nonprofits" a collaboration between the Center for Nonprofit Management and Cause Communications
Share with us your favorite articles, videos and books!